Atwater Elementary School
One of two public elementary schools in the Shorewood School District, Atwater Elementary serves the south half of the village. It is also the designated school for all elementary-level English as a Second Language students. There are about 300 ESL pupils in the Shorewood District, representing some 26 languages. Atwater's building was erected in 1915 and is located along Capitol Drive near the main commercial district. Occupying four full village blocks, it has very ample outdoor recreation space, which is also open for public use.
- Hours: Jr. Kindergarten, morning class, 8:15am - 11am; afternoon class, 12:35pm - 3:15pm. Sr. Kindergarten, morning class, 8:15am - 11:40am; afternoon class, 12:30pm - 3:15pm. Grades 1-6, 8:15am - 3:15pm; Wed, early release, 2:15pm.
- Handicap Accessible: This older building has been retrofitted to accommodate children and adults of all abilities, but not all entrances may be accessible.
- Founding Date: 1915
- Public/Private: Public
- Accreditation/licenses: State licensed and chartered public school
- How engaged is the school with the community?: As with all Shorewood schools, Atwater is open to the public for many community uses.
- Features: Cafeteria, Computer lab, Language lab, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities