Here's a recap of athletic news and upcoming events from Shorewood High School:
SHS Boys Soccer:
The SHS boys soccer team traveled to Whitnall on September 9th, where they suffered a touch 1-0 loss. On Wednesday, September 11th, the team struggled against Pewaukee, eventually falling 9-0.
The Messmer/Shorewood JV football team defeated Kenosha St. joe’s 13-6 on Monday, September 9th. A 66-yard touchdown run by Trinity Conley, and a 24 yard TD pass from Joe Friedman to Grant Brown put Messmer/Shorewood ahead 13-0 going into halftime. Tough play by the Messmer/Shorewood defense kept St. Joe's scoreless until the fourth quarter, with critical turnovers coming from interceptions by Grant Brown and Zakeithius Neely. The week three win was the first for the JV squad putting their record at 1-2.
On Friday, September 13th, the Messmer/Shorewood Varsity Football hosted St. John Northwestern Military Academy and dominated from the start with a 35-0 victory. Quarterback Taylor Dennis threw for 120 yards resulting in two touchdowns. Andre Brown lead the rushing attack with 45 yards and Jonathan Carson caught 3 passes for 93 yards and a touchdown.
SHS Girls Volleyball:
The SHS girls volleyball team traveled to Whitnall September 10 and played tough, but suffered a 3-1 defeat. Team Leaders were Ashley Eimers (8 Kills), Annie Leo (4 Aces), and Megan Eimers (27 Assists).
On Thursday, September 12th, the team hosted Whitefish Bay and dominated in a convincing 3-0 Sweep. Paige Clingaman lead the team with 10 kills and 7 Service Aces while Megan Eimers lead the team with 22 Assists.
Finally, on Saturday, September 14th, the team hosted the Shorewood Invite and racked up wins to make it to the finals where they took on state-ranked Cedarburg. After a long day of volleyball with multiple matches the Greyhounds fell short in a 2-0 loss to Cedarburg. With the loss the Greyhounds took home the Shorewood Invite Runner-Up Trophy.
SHS Girls Tennis:
On Tuesday, September 10th, the team improved to 3-0 in conference with a 5-2 win over Whitnall . At Whitnall, four singles player Grace Reckmeyer and two doubles team Ellie Schmitt and Hayley Ostrowski battled out three set matches (in the 90 degree heat) to secure the victory.
Two days later, the team kept up their winning streak and went 4-0 in conference play with a 7-0 win over St. Francis. At the St. Francis meet, three singles player Bryn Urban, four singles player Grace Reckmeyer, and Varsity Reserve member Celeste Carroll all played one spot up due to an injury on the team. All three girls stepped up to the challenge and won their matches.
SHS Boys Volleyball:
The team hosted their first home game of the season against Brookfield East on September 11. After a hard fought match the Greyhounds came up short in a 3-1 defeat. Team Leaders: Karl Apfelbach (22 Kills), Riley Liegel (4 Service Aces), and Joe Lock (39 Assists). On Saturday, the team took part in the Racine Park Invite where they finished 1-2 overall.
SHS Girls Swimming:
The girls team traveled to Cudahy and came away with wins on both the JV and Varsity levels. Seniors Lucy Petrick and Chloe Borut each won two individual races and Chloe had a breakthrough swim in her 200 Freestyle. Freshman Leah Jorn showed some versatility by winning both the 200 IM and 500 Freestyle. Sophomore Shelby Hammond earned her first varsity victory by winning the 100 Backstroke.
SHS Cross Country:
On Thursday, September 12th, the team traveled to Arrowhead to compete in their invitational. The JV boys finished in third overall with top finishes from Sam Shields (1st) and Dylan Larson-Harsch (3rd). The Varsity boys finished second overall with top finishes from Charlie Stahl (2nd), Jacob Goldberg (9th) and Sam Kuhlmann (10th).
The JV Girls finished 4th overall with top finishes from Sunniva Kessenich (9th), Martha Hellerman (18th) and Emilie Lozier (21st). The Varsity girls finished 5th overall with top finishes from Morgan Florsheim (2nd) and Micaela Gayner (16th).
- 9/16: SHS Boys Soccer vs. South Milwaukee, JV at 4:30 p.m., Varsity at 6:30 p.m.
- 9/16: SHS JV Football at St. John’s Military at 4:30 p.m.
- 9/16: SHS Boys Volleyball vs. Wauwatosa West, JV at 4:30 p.m., Varsity at 6:30 p.m.
- 9/17: SHS Girls Tennis vs. Greenfield, 4 p.m.
- 9/17: SHS Girls Volleyball vs. St. Francis, Frosh & JV at 5 p.m., Varsity at 6:30 p.m.
- 9/17: 7th & 8th Grade Cross Country at Bayside Mini Meet at Doctor Park in Fox Point, 4 p.m.
- 9/18: SHS Boys Soccer at Wauwatosa West, JV at 4:30 p.m., Varsity at 6:30 p.m.
- 9/18: SHS Boys Volleyball at Greenfield/Whitnall, JV at 5 p.m., Varsity at 6:30 p.m.
- 9/18: SHS Girls Swimming vs. South Milwaukee, 6 p.m.
- 9/19: SHS Girls Tennis at Cudahy, 4 p.m.
- 9/19: Messwood Red at Brookfield Academy at 4:30 p.m.
- 9/19: SHS Girls Volleyball at Brown Deer, JV at 5 p.m., Varsity at 6:30 p.m.
- 9/20: SHS Varsity Football vs. Hope School, 7 p.m.
- 9/21: SHS Girls Varsity Volleyball at New Berlin Invitational, 8 a.m.
- 9/21: SHS Girls Varsity Tennis at Manitowoc Ronaclli Invite, 9 a.m.
- 9/21: SHS Boys volleyball at Wauwatosa East Invite, 9 a.m.
- 9/21: SHS Girls Swimming at Nicolet Invite, 9:30 a.m.
- 9/21: SHS Girls Cross Country at Marquette Invite, 10 a.m.
- 9/21: Messwood Grey at Catholic Youth Football Club, 12 p.m.