Shorewood athletes continued to celebrate successes and gains last week as the fall sport season got into full swing.
Below are results and summaries:
The Shorewood High School (SHS) girls swim teams (both JV and Varsity) hosted Grafton at home on Wednesday, August 28. Although the varsity team lost, the JV team came out on top.
Both the JV and Varsity football teams took on Brown Deer this week, with members of the JV team hosting Brown Deer at home while varsity played at Brown Deer. Both teams came up short, however, with JV losing 20-14 while varsity lost 21-13.
All three girls volleyball teams (freshmen, JV and varsity) played last week. On August 26, both the JV and varsity teams scrimmaged against Whitefish Bay. Later in the week, on August 28, the freshmen team traveled to Wauwatosa West to take part in a multi-team tournament. Although the girls did not perform as strongly as they would have liked, it was a great experience for the young high school athletes. The same day, the JV girls team traveled to West Allis, where they played in the Hale Quad, ultimately losing three close games. On August 31, the varsity team took first place at the Milwaukee Lutheran Tournament.
Shorewood hosted its early season invite on August 29 at Kern Park. Both Shorewood cross country teams (girls and boys) raced in the nine-team meet. The boys team won the meet, with eight team members finishing in the top 20. SHS junior Charlie Stahl took second place with a time of 16:29 while sophomore Sam Kuhlmann took third with a time of 16:53.
The SHS girls team took second place. Like the boys team, the girls team also had a number of outstanding individual finishes, including a first place finish by SHS sophomore Morgan Florsheim with a time of 15:28 and a fifth place finish by senior Haley Florsheim. In total, four Shorewood girls finished in the top 20.
The girls tennis team hosted South Milwaukee on August 29. During the match, Shorewood had a number of singles and doubles victories, ultimately coming out on top, beating South Milwaukee with a score of 5-2.
Upcoming Athletic Events (9/3/13-9/7/13)
- Sept. 3: Girls Tennis (JV & Varsity) vs. Brown Deer at Home, 4 p.m.
- Sept. 4: Boys Soccer (JV & Varsity) at Pius XI, 4:30 p.m.
- Sept. 4: Girls Swimming (JV & Varsity) at Whitefish Bay, 5 p.m.
- Sept. 5: Girls Volleyball Freshmen at Greendale, 5 p.m.
- Sept. 5: Girls Volleyball JV at Greendale, 5 p.m.
- Sept. 5: Girls Volleyball Varsity at Greendale, 5 p.m.
- Sept. 6: Cross Country (JV & Varsity Girls & Boys) at Homestead Invite, 4 p.m.
- Sept. 7: Girls Varsity Tennis at Kenosha St. Joseph Varsity Quad at Carthage College, 9 a.m.
- Sept. 7: Girls Swimming (JV & Varsity) host Shorewood Invite at Home, 9:30 a.m.