The Shorewood boys cross country team won its eighth Division 2 state title in 13 seasons during Saturday's WIAA state meet.
Shorewood finished 11 points ahead of Freedom and 24 ahead of Wisconsin Lutheran in Wisconsin Rapids. The Greyhounds won the Woodland Conference meet and qualified for state by winning its sectional meet with four runners in the top 10, and topping Wisconsin Lutheran by 17 points.
Charlie Stahl led the Greyhounds with a fourth-place finish, completing the 5000-meter course in 15 minutes and 59.65 seconds.
Other boys individual times were:
- Jacob Goldberg, 18th place, 16:37.39
- Alex MacKowski, 19th place, 16:38.06
- Sam Kuhlmann, 32nd place, 16:48.82
- Dan Vrobel, 38th place, 16:53.53
- Jack Mauer, 53rd place, 17:15.30
- John Papke, 77th place, 17:33.82
The girls cross country team finished third, 40 points behind winners Dodgeville/Mineral Point and second-place finisher Notre Dame de la Baie Acad during their state meet on Saturday. The squad also .
It's the best finish in the history of girls cross country at Shorewood, and the team will also go down as the fastest team in the program's history.
Morgan Florsheim grabbed a fifth-place finish leading the Greyhounds with a time of 14:54.11.
The girls' individual times are as follows:
- Abby Pech, 13th place, 15:16.79
- Haley Florsheim, 14th place, 15:19.20
- Haley Holan, 81th place, 16:20.87
- Laura Gould, 86th place, 16:22.23
- Angela Sperry, 99th place, 16:29.74
- Madee Ferone, 142th place, 17:33.27
Correction Monday, 10:19 p.m.: An initial version of this story incorrectly stated the Shorewood boys cross country team had won seven Divsion 2 state titles since 2000. The program has won eight.