Below are athletic recaps from matches, games and competitions that occurred during the week of September 3rd:
The Messmer/Shorewood varsity football faced University School of Milwaukee on Friday, September 6th, and jumped out to a 35-0 halftime lead and cruised to a 41-6 victory.
Both boys soccer team took on Pius XI on Wednesday, September 4th. Both JV and Varsity won the matches: JV won with a JV won 1-0 with a goal from Mark Spinelli, while the varsity team won 5-1 with goals by Elliot Lane (2), Kieren Quinen (2), and Patrick Quinen (1).
The girls volleyball lost a hard fought match to Greendale 3-1 on Thursday, September 5th.
Girls swimming hosted the Shorewood Invitational on Saturday, September 7th. The girls took 3rd place as a team, but won many events, including: the 200 yard medley (team of Melissa Clausen, Rachel Munson, Eva Jorn, and Kristen Malone), 200 Freestyle (Kristen Malone), 100 Butterfly (Eva Jorn), 100 Freestyle (Kristen Malone) and 100 Breaststroke (Rachel Munson).
Both the girls and boys cross county teams raced in the Homestead Invite on Friday, September 6th. The boys JV team took first place as a team, with top team finishes from Joey Flegel-Mishlow (1st Place) and Sam Shields (5th Place). The varsity boys team in second place overall, with top finishes by two team members: Charlie Stahl (2nd Place) and Sam Kuhlmann (10th Place). The girls JV team took sixth overall, with a first place finish by Madee Ferone. The girls varsity team took third place and had top finishes by Morgan Florsheim (2nd Place) and Haley Florsheim (5th Place).
The girls team hosted Brown Deer on Tuesday, September 3rd, and won the match 7-0. Singles and doubles results are finished:
- 1 Singles: Elizabeth Kruch won 6-2, 6-2
- 2 Singles: Jenna Vuorinen won 6-4, 6-2
- 3 Singles: Bryn Urban won 6-0, 6-0
- 4 Singles: Grace Reckmeyer won 6-2, 6-0
- 1 Doubles: Tricia Nelsen and Grace Rybarik won 6-0. 6-0
- 2 Doubles: Ellie Schmitt and Hayley Ostrowski won 6-0. 6-0
- 3 Doubles: Claire Howland and Grace Kleaveland-Kupczak won 6-0. 6-0
Overall, all of the girls played really well and maintained great control over their individual matches. The team is now 2-0 in conference play.
Upcoming Athletic Events (9/9-9/14):
- 9/9: Boys Soccer at Whitnall; JV- 4:30 p.m., Varsity- 6:30 p.m.
- 9/9: JV Football vs. University School, 4:30 p.m.
- 9/10: Girls Tennis (JV & Varsity) at Whitnall, 4:30 p.m.
- 9/10: Girls Volleyball at Whitnall; JV & Freshmen- 5 p.m., Varsity- 6:30 p.m.
- 9/11: 7th & 8th Grade Cross Country at Steffen Mini Meet at Steffen Middle School
- 9/11: Boys Soccer at Pewaukee; JV- 4:30 p.m., Varsity- 6:30 p.m.
- 9/11: Boys Volleyball vs. Brookfield East, 7 p.m.
- 9/12: Girls Tennis (JV & Varsity) at St. Francis, 4 p.m.
- 9/12: SHS Cross Country (girls & boys, JV & Varsity), Arrowhead Invite, 4 p.m.
- 9/13: Varsity Football vs. St. John’s/Northwestern, 7 p.m.
- 9/14: Girls Volleyball, Shorewood Invite, 8 a.m.
- 9/14: Boys Volleyball (JV & Varsity) at Racine Park Invite, 9 a.m.
- 9/14: Boys Cross-Country (JV & Varsity), Smiley Invite in Wausau, 8:30 a.m.
- 9/14: 7th & 8th Grade Cross Country at Waukesha Cross Country Festival at Minooka Park, 10 a.m. (Optional Meet)
- 9/14: Messwood Red (7th & 8th grade football) vs. Catholic Youth Football Club, 11 a.m.