Here's a recap of last week's athletic events from Shorewood High School:
Boys Soccer: The varsity team defeated Brown Deer 2-0 at home last Monday, September 23rd. Elliot Lane and Mads Hanson scored two goals for the Greyhounds. On Wednesday, September 25th, the team celebrated another victory at home with a 4-1 win against New Berlin West. The Greyhounds dominated the game, with Matt Heinen, Elliot Lane, Kieren Quinan, and Andres Duran Lopez scoring goals.
JV Football: Last week, the team traveled to Marquette, defeating the Hilltoppers 18-0. With the win, the team’s record improved 3-2.
Girls Volleyball: On Tuesday, the team hosted Greefield at home. Unfortunately, all Shorewood teams- freshmen, JV and varsity- lost hard-fought matches. On Wednesday, the varsity team dominated Cudahy in three games at home. Grace Hayes led the Greyhounds with 11 kills and four solo blocks. Megan Eimers had 12 assists while Meghan Curtis contributed four service aces in the win. On Friday, the freshmen and JV teams participated in the Whitefish Bay invitational. The team finished the night 6-2 beating Brown Deer, Milwaukee King and Nicolet in convincing fashion, but lost two close sets to Whitefish Bay. Ultimately, the team took 2nd place at the tournament.
Boys Volleyball: The team swept Greendale in three at home on Wednesday. Karl Apfelbach led the way with 14 kills and six service aces. The Greyhounds had contributions from Joe Lock (31 assists), Riley Liegel (2 digs) and Bryan Frieske (3 solo blocks).
Girls Swimming: The team competed in the Woodland Conference Relays and swam away with the championship. Shorewood lead the event with a commanding score of 342. Wauwatosa West came in second with a score of 267.
Girls Tennis: The varsity team lost the crossover meet against Wauwatosa West on Thursday, September 26. Individual results are as follows:
- 1 Singles: Liza Kruch lost 4-6, 3-6
- 2 Singles: Jenna Vuorinen lost 1-6. 2-6
- 3 Singles: Bryn Urban lost 1-6, 1-6
- 4 Singles: Grace Reckmeyer lost 1-6, 2-6
- 1 Doubles: Tricia Nelsen and Grace Rybarik won 3-6, 6-2. 6-3
- 2 Doubles: Ellie Schmitt and Hayley Ostrowski lost 5-7, 2-6
- 3 Doubles: Claire Howland and Grace Kleaveland-Kupczak lost 4-6, 3-6
Varsity Football: The team beat Lake Country Lutheran 21-12. Lake Country has been a rival in the last few years and this victory marks the first for Shorewood/Messmer . Tywan Ramsey returned a fumble for a score, Andre Brown scored off of a 10-yard run, and Shorewood’s own Riley Sellinger sealed the win with a 24 yard run on 4th and 1 for Shorewood/Messmer. The Greyhounds face Kenosha Christian Life for Homecoming this Friday at 7 p.m.
Cross Country: The boys team participated in the Oshkosh Loudres Invite on Saturday, September 28. The Shorewood boys won the overall championship. Charile Stahl finished 1st overall. Other top Shorewood finishes included Jacob Goldberg, Sam Kuhlmann, Jack Mauer, and Henry Fowler. The same day, the girls team participated in the Roy Griak Invitational in Minnesota. Morgan Florshiem finished second of 450 runners in the Maroon Division and 18th of 900 high school athletes at the meet. Haley Florsheim had a 19th place podium finish and Micaela Gayner 26th place. Overall, Shorewood finished 8th, better than any previous Greyhound team at Griak.
- 9/30: Boys Soccer at New Berlin Eisenhower, JV & Varsity at 4:30 p.m.
- 9/30: JV Football vs. Lake County Lutheran, 4:30 p.m.
- 10/1: Girls Tennis Woodland Conference Tournament at Greendale/Greenfield, 12 p.m.
- 10/1: Girls Volleyball vs. South Milwaukee, Freshmen/JV at 5 p.m., Varsity at 6:30 p.m.
- 10/2: 7th and 8th grade across county at Lake Shore Mini Meet, 4 p.m.
- 10/2: Boys Soccer at Cudahy/St. Francis, JV & Varsity at 4:30 p.m.
- 10/2: Boys Volleyball at Pius XI, JV at 5 p.m., Varsity at 6:30 p.m.
- 10/2: Girls Tennis Woodland Conference Tournament at Wauwatosa West, 12:30 p.m.
- 10/3: Messwood Red Football at University School, 4:30 p.m.
- 10/4: Varsity Football vs. Kenosha Christian Life High School, 7 p.m.
- 10/5: Boys Volleyball, Shorewood Invite, 8:30 a.m.
- 10/5: SHS Cross Country, Racine Case Invite, 9 a.m.
- 10/5: Girls Varsity Volleyball at Nicolet Invite, 9 a.m.
- 10/5: Messwood Grey vs. Brookfield Academy, 9:30 a.m.
- 10/5: Boys Soccer vs. Whitefish Bay, JV at 1 p.m., Varsity at 3 p.m.