This is a recap of last week's athletic events from Shorewood High School:
Cross Country: The cross-country teams participated in the Racine Eagle Invite on Saturday, October 5th. The JV team finished 10th out of 22 teams, while varsity finished 4th of 22 teams behind 3 top-ten ranked D1 teams. The Greyhounds were the top finishing Division 2 team and also beat conference rival Pewaukee by more than 100 points. This team performance placed Shorewood second in the Division 2 team rankings. Morgan Florsheim finished 2nd place to Division 1 state champion Elizabeth Flatley with her second fastest time of 14:49. Haley Florsheim took 3rd with a lifetime personal record of 15:10 and Micaela Gayner took 8th Haley Woyak took 42nd and Laura Gould placed 47th. The Greyhounds medaled all scoring running sin the top 50 for the first time ever at the Racine Case Invitational.
The boys cross-country team finished third overall at the meet, with top finishes from Sam Shields, Alex Luger and Gus Wettstein. The varsity team took second after being edged out by Madison West. Charlie Stahl broke the 16:00 minute barrier for the second time on this course. Other top finishers for the Greyhounds were Sam Kulhlman, Jake Goldberg, and Jack Mauer.
Boys Soccer: On Monday, September 30th, SHS took on New Berlin Eisenhower. Unfortunately, the JV team lost 5-1 (with Joey Lemeaux scoring the lone goal for the Greyhounds) and the varsity team also lost 4-2. Varsity players Kieran Quinen and Elliot Lane scored goals for Shorewood. On Wednesday, the teams, both JV and varsity, traveled to Cudahy. The JV team won 5-0, with DeAnthony Manns leading the charge with two goals, while Cal Papineau, Jack Rock, and Nano Wagner also scoring. The Varsity team won 4-0, with goals scored Elliot Lane, Kieran Quinan, and Sanil Pannachan. On Saturday, the JV team lost to Whitefish Bay 4-0. The varsity team was also set to take on Whitefish Bay, however, the second half of the game was canceled due to weather conditions.
Messmer/Shorewood Football: The JV football team hosted Lake County Lutheran on Monday, but unfortunately lost 28-6. On Friday, the varsity team faced Kenosha Christian Life in a varsity reserve game after KCL forfeited the game due to injuries. Shorewood/Messmer juniors and seniors coached the team and won the homecoming game 31-12.
Girls Volleyball: The varsity team beat South Milwaukee in three straight games on Tuesday, October 1. The Greyhounds were dominant in their play throughout all games. On Saturday, the varsity team participated in the Nicolet Invite. The Greyhounds won the bronze division and claimed a 9th place finish overall. Shorewood lost two close games in pool play to Watertown and New Berlin West and defeated Riverside and Homestead to win the bronze bracket.
Girls Tennis: The team took part in the Woodland Conference Tournament at Greenfield, and took third place overall by winning the consolation championship. Below are the results:
- 1 Singles: Liza Kruch took second and was defeated by Tosa West's Nicole Meylor 2-6, 5-7.
- 2 Singles: Jenna Vuorinen did not place but won two matches in the back draw - against Greenfield and New Berlin West
- 3 Singles: Bryn Urban was Consolation Champion and defeated Pius Xi's Katie Brunner 6-1, 6-1
- 4 Singles: Grace Reckmeyer was Consolation Champion and defeated Greenfield's Jessica Krenke 6-1, 6-4
- 1 Doubles: Tricia Nelsen and Grace Rybarik were Consolation Champions and defeated Saint Francis's Bieschke and Baldwin 7-6, 7-6
- 2 Doubles: Ellie Schmitt and Hayley Ostrowski took third place and defeated New Berlin West's Hugdahl and Cullinan 6-2, 7-5
- 3 Doubles: Claire Howland and Grace Kleaveland Kupczak took fourth place and were defeated by South Milwaukee's Bizub and Ozodi 6-0, 2-6, 4-6
Boys Volleyball: On Wednesday, the team traveled to Pius XI. Although the JV team lost all three of its games, the varsity team beat Pius XI in 3 of 4 games. On Saturday, the varsity team hosted the nine-team Shorewood Invitational at SHS and finished 4th overall by winning the Silver Pool. The Greyhounds celebrated impressive victories over Muskego, Wauwatosa West and Westosha Central, and only had one loss- to Appleton North.
This Week's Events:
- 10/7: Boys Soccer vs. Greenfield, JV at 4:30, Varsity at 6:30
- 10/7: Girls Tennis Subsectionals at Brown Deer
- 10/8: Girls Volleyball at New Berlin West, frosh & JV at 5 p.m., varsity at 6:30 p.m.
- 10/8: JV Football vs. Rufus King, 4:30 p.m.
- 10/9: Boys Soccer vs. Greendale, JV at 4:30 p.m., Varsity at 6:30 p.m.
- 10/9: Boys Volleyball vs. New Berlin, JV at 5 p.m., Varsity at 6:30 p.m.
- 10/9: Girls Swimming at Greenfield, 4 p.m.
- 10/9: Girls Tennis Sectionals at Racine Prairie
- 10/10: Girls Volleyball at New Berlin Eisenhower, frosh & JV at 5 p.m., varsity at 6:30 p.m.
- 10/11: Boys soccer vs. Grafton, JV at 5 p.m., Varsity at 7 p.m.
- 10/11: Varsity football at Brookfield Academy, 7 p.m.
- 10/12: Boys volleyball at Whitefish Bay Invite, 8:30 a.m.
- 10/12: Shorewood Cross Country Invite at Kern Park, 10 a.m.
- 10/12: Girls Swimming at Sheboygan South, 12 p.m.
- 10/12: Girls Volleyball Frosh & JV at Woodland Conference Tournament, 10 a.m.