One car was stolen and car stereos were ripped from three other cars in a rash of car break-ins late last week.
On Saturday, an unlocked 1999 Jeep Cherokee was reported stolen from a driveway in the 1800 block of East Newton Avenue. Keys weren’t in the car at the time of the theft. Police say the car was found somewhere in Milwaukee on Monday afternoon.
Overnight on Wednesday, two cars were targeted in a parking lot in the 3500 block of North Oakland Avenue. The driver’s side window was smashed out of a tan Honda, causing $250 worth of damage, and a $300 Kenwood after market stereo was taken. The driver’s side window was busted out of a silver BMW and a $400 Alpine stereo taken. Police estimate the damage to be $200.
Friday, a Shorewood man called police to report his 1997 GMC Sierra pick-up truck broken into while parked in the parking lot, near the intersection of North Oakland Avenue and East Edgewood Avenue. Police say a pry bar was used to gain entry to the rear driver’s side window. A $200 JVC stereo was removed from the dash. In all, police say there was $840 in damage to the truck.
Also in police news:
- Police aren't revealing details of what they call a sensitive information-only report involving a student at , 3830 N. Morris Blvd.
- A 20-year-old Shorewood man was arrested Sunday, after police say he returned to , 4145 N. Oakland Ave., after scamming the store out of a pack of cigarettes. According to the report, the man came into the grocer around 5:15 p.m., asked for a $7.58 pack of Marlboro 27s from the customer service counter, but then went to another cashier to pay. However, when he went to another register, he bought a carrot cake, but told the cashier he had already paid for the cigarettes. He returned later the same night, and security personnel phoned police, resulting in his arrest.
- Police received a report Sunday of petitioners seeking Walker recall signatures from people entering , 4145 N. Oakland Ave. Police say they were told the petitioners were following customers into the store, however, when police arrived, they couldn’t located any petitioners and the store manager said they hadn’t entered the store.
- A student was issued a ticket for possession of drug paraphernalia Thursday, after police say he was found carrying a pipe typically used to smoke marijuana.
- Police were unable to locate a man who drove off without paying for $46 worth of fuel from , 1513 E. Capitol Dr. Police say the license plate captured by surveillance video doesn’t match any vehicles in their database.
- The manager at , 4081 N. Oakland Ave., called police to report that a man had concealed a stick of deodorant and bug spray and left the store without paying. Police have no suspects.
- An unlocked $150 dark blue men’s Schwinn bicycle was reported stolen Friday from a parking lot in the 4300 block of North Oakland Avenue.