A 26-year-old Milwaukee man was arrested Thursday for drunken driving after he ran a stop sign and struck a tree.
At 5:45 p.m., police say the man was driving through Shorewood when he cruised through a stop sign at East Jarvis Street and North Oakland Avenue and slammed into a tree. Police arrived and say the man had trouble standing, smelled of alcohol and slurred his speech.
He failed a sobriety test at the scene and later was found to have a .34 blood alcohol level, more than four times the legal limit.
It’s his first operating while intoxicated offense.
Also in the police report:
- Following a physical altercation with his juvenile girlfriend, a 26-year-old Milwaukee man was arrested for battery Wednesday. Police say the man had a fight with the victim at 5:44 a.m. in a car parked in the 1900 block of East Newton Avenue. The victim’s father found them in the car and confronted the Milwaukee man. The suspect jumped out of the car and fled on foot through numerous yards, until police picked him up.
- A 70-year-old Shorewood resident and his terrier dog required medical attention after a pit-bull-mix escaped her home in the 3800 block of North Murray Avenue and attacked them. The man and his dog both suffered puncture wounds.
- A 53-year-old Milwaukee man was arrested after police say he pried open a door to a laundry room at an apartment in the 1700 block of East Newton Avenue on Wednesday and attempted to steal coins from two coin-operated laundry machines. He was arrested on a violation of probation, but could be facing burglary charges, police say. A manager at another apartment in the 1700 block of East Newton Avenue told police July 17, about $200 in damage was caused and $20 in quarters stolen from a coin-operated laundry machine sometime within the last two weeks.
- A 27-year-old Milwaukee man was arrested for retail theft Sunday night after he walked out of , 4081 N. Oakland Ave., without paying for $61 worth of candy. His brother, a 32-year-old Milwaukee man who acted as a lookout outside the store, was also arrested for retail theft. The incident occurred at 6:45 p.m.
- A 19-year-old Greenfield man was arrested for disorderly conduct Saturday after he blocked an entrance/exit and screamed obscenities at security at an apartment building at 1600 E. River Park Ct.
- An Atwater Beach lifeguard reported his $100 Verizon LG cell phone and wallet with $30 and credit cards stolen from a lifeguard station. The victim’s bank notified him that his credit card had been used three times to purchase gasoline and car tires.
- Police received a report of a woman bleeding from her head at a home in the 4300 block of East Alpine Avenue at 8:27 p.m. on July 16. When police arrived, they found the woman in a backyard with a head laceration. The woman was intoxicated and refused to state how she was injured, and family members couldn’t explain the injury. She was transported to a local hospital.
- Police found a window on the northeast corner of , 3830 N. Morris Blvd., busted out on July 16. There were no signs that anything was stolen from the school and an estimate of the damage wasn't available Monday, according to police.
- A Shorewood resident called police to report someone had tried to steal his car while it was parked in the 4300 block of North Morris Boulevard July 17. There was about $300 in damage to the car's steering column.
- A $175 bicycle was reported stolen from a garage behind a home in the 3800 block of North Morris Boulevard on Wednesday. The theft occurred sometime between July 14 and 18, the bicycle owner told police.
- Two bicycles were reported stolen sometime between 9 and 10:30 p.m. on July 17 from the rear of a home in the 1900 block of East Kenmore Place. The bicycles are valued at $350, police say.