More than 50 professional painters will participate in the first annual Plein Air Shorewood Festival – rain or shine – on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Stop into the lower level of Shorewood Library on Thursday and Friday to find out where the artists are painting, or check out the Facebook page and website.
The paintings will be offered for sale at a Saturday night gala at the Village Center, 3920 N. Murray Ave.
Here's a list of special events that will be happening during the festival. A more complete listing can be found on the Plein Air Shorewood website.
Thursday, September 19
- 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.: Artist and Community Celebration at Hubbard Lodge, 3565 N. Morris Blvd., with live music. Food and beverages for purchase.
Friday, September 20
- 7 a.m. to 9 a.m.: Community Breakfast Celebration at Atwater Park (Capitol Dr. and Lake Dr.) to celebrate the third anniversary of "Spillover II" and acknowledge the generosity of an anonymous donor who made the sculpture possible. Meet village leaders, artists and volunteers.
- 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.: Kensington Square Festival: Community celebration in the 4500 N. block of Oakland Ave. with live music, artists, food and beverages (for purchase), and a performance by the McMenamin Irish Dance Academy and the band Loud Mouth Soup.
Saturday, September 21
All events are open to the public at Shorewood Public Library, 3920 N. Murray Ave.
- 10 a.m. to noon: Collector's Sneak Peek: Preview of paintings
- 6 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.: Awards Ceremony
- 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.: Plein Air Gala/Reception/Auction: Paintings on display in a silent auction, hors d'oeuvres, cash bar and entertainment. It is anticipated that more than 150 paintings will be presented for sale.