SHOW US: Where Did You Go This Summer?
Staycation? Vacation? Either way, upload photos of your summer travel experience.
The beginning of the summer may have been full of big plans for exciting adventures: road trips, far away vacations, long days spent relaxing on the beach.
But with August now over, many people are likely wondering where the time went — and what ever happened to those vacation ideas?
If you're one of those people, it turns out you're in the minority: AAA travel club reports that the number of Americans traveling has been on a slow and steady increase for the last two years. AAA's travel data from July 4 of this year showed a 4.9 increase from last year for people trekking more than 50 miles from home to celebrate.
"Americans are still in love with their vacations and they are finding ways to finance those vacations despite the slow-growing economy," said Cynthia Brough, director of public relations for AAA's national office. Brough said that travelers these days are looking for value and economy, however they personally define it.
There are a lot of places in the Milwaukee area where residents can enjoy a staycation, and Patch has profiled many in its Gas Tank Getaway series:
- Waukesha: Explore downtown;
- Caledonia: Experience it's rural character;
- Shorewood: Atwater Beach and Park;
- Muskego: Get in touch with nature;
- Wauwatosa: Check out Harbors area's newest water feature;
- Greendale: Spend the day in historic downtown;
- Greenfield: Konkel Park Has Something For Everyone;
- North Shore: Fly Away to Schlitz Audubon Nature Center;
- Port Washington: A Picture Perfect Escape to Port Washington;
- Oak Creek: Enjoy the lakefront in a new way at Bender Park;
- Sussex: Park Features Movie Nights, Concerts and More;
- Menomonee Falls: A Little Bit For Everyone at Menomonee Park.
If you hit up any of these places this summer, or — on the off-chance you got out of state — we'd love to see the photos and live vicariously through them. Maybe you went to the beach, or the mountains, or our personal fave, a cross-country tour of our finest frozen dessert factories.
No matter where you went, inside or outside your Patch, share your photos here so we can get inspired for next year.