Patch readers (and fish fry connoisseurs) throughout the Milwaukee area cast thousands of votes over the past five days, helping us determine some of the best fish fry spots in the area. This is the first in a series of stories where Patch will ask readers to give their takes on favorite local businesses and places.
The winners of the best fish fry contests were determined over the course of a week, from more than 20,000 votes cast, 145 comments left, 37 restaurant reviews and 100 Facebook Likes or Recommends.
Here's a roundup of the winners:
- DeRango the Pizza King and Steak House took top honors in the contest in Caledonia, Mount Pleasant and Sturtevant.
- The Cellar won the contest in Oak Creek.
- A church, St. Alphonsus in Greendale, was declared the best fish fry in Greendale and Greenfield. They don't have a fry every Friday, so be sure to check their schedule if you want to check it out.
- Muskego Patch readers cast more than 1,000 votes, and pushed newcomer Sauced Restaurant into the lead.
- Master Z's won the contest on Waukesha Patch.
- Rich's Bar and Restaurant pulled ahead at the last minute in the Sussex-Menomonee Falls contest.
- The Silver Spur won the contest on Brookfield Patch, in another battle that went to the end. More than 2,000 votes were lodged there between 7:30 and 8:30 a.m., pushing Silver Spur ahead of The Red Mill.
- Cranky Al's beat the competition in Wauwatosa, garnering more votes than all other contenders put together.
- In the North Shore, readers chose Jack Pandl's Whitefish Bay Inn as the best fish fry.
- In Port Washington, The Patio was declared the winning fish fry.